Monday, November 3, 2008

Back home

What a crazy week. I left for hunting on Tuesday last week and got back in town yesterday early evening. I had a great time. When I got down there on Tuesday I hurried up and put my hunting gear on and stood in the creek for 2 hours. It was real windy that day. The gust must have been about 30 mph. I saw Uncle George's truck pull in right as the sun was going down. I thought great, we have a deer to go find. They left their stands early because the wind was blowing so hard. So about 10 mins after I left the creek bed we looked outside and saw deer in the field. That's just my luck! They show up right when I leave. From Wed. thru Friday no one saw deer in the woods. It was real strange, usually is down or at least spotted every other day. I was getting nervous because I knew I had to come back on Sunday. Saturday was my last hope. I had 2 arrows in the air on Saturday... both misses. When I told my wife her first words were you suck, then she told me I was deer repellent. Thanks for the support dear... I appreciate it. Saturday really was great. All week long I was waiting for a day like Saturday. We work up at 4:30am and we were in our tree stands by 6:00am. On the way to our hunting spot which is called "Way" we spotted 6 deer in the fields and crossing the roads. We knew it was going to be a good day. At about 9:00am I m sitting in my tree stand and I hear CRACK! I jump on my radio and I ask Uncle George if he just shot his bow, nothing he isn't responding. He is in a tree that is only about 80 yards from my tree stand. So I keep radioing him and finally he says real quick "she is gonna pop out right in front of you." I stand up real fast and pick up my bow. I heard him shoot and here comes a deer jumping right in my path. She was about 50 yards from me. Its kind of a far shot and I usually only practice up to 40 yards because its a far shot. Well like I said the pressure is on I go home on Sunday So I shoot. At the time I didn't is there was a hit. Uncle George radios me saying "did you just shoot?" He knew it was far from his tree stand. While all this is going on Kevin, Uncle Georges friend radios that he just shot a doe. We sat in our stands for another hour. Uncle George came over and I told him where I shot and he went to look for the arrow. I getting down out of the tree and he comes over to me and said he cant find the arrow but there is a boat load of blood over there. I walk over there and notice that the blood is going backwards from my shot. It was then that we realized Uncle George actually shot the deer. He tells me that if he the deer he either slit its throat or gave real bad bloody nose because he saw his arrow and he thought it was a miss. We mete back at the truck and go look for Kevin's deer first because we knew that deer was gonna die for sure, and we weren't sure the bloody nose was gonna kill the deer. We couldn't find Kevin's deer so Kevin looking and following the blood trail while uncle George and I looked for his deer. I find my arrow and it was buried right underneath the blood trail. My shot was short. We good good blood the way and found the deer at the bottom of a creek bed. He actually shot the deer in the cheek and my have sliced the deer are tube and it suffocated. Later that night I hunted the property since we had seen deer coming in everyday to the field. We saw as man as 6 deer in the field on more that one occasion. I was set up on the hill and saw 3 deer about 6:00pm come my way. They passed me by too quickly and went to the field. I was about 40 yards from the fields edge and I knew my only shot was in the woods before they got into the field. I radio the guys at the cabin to make noise to scare the deer back in the woods. I knew that they would come right to me. No answer on the radio. I thinking what the heck I was just talking to those fools and they said radio them if I needed the deer scared back in. No answer. I'm losing light ta this time and I'm watching the 3 deer have in the field. Finally one deer comes close to the edge but quickly starts going back. It was about a 65 yard shot..maybe 70 yards. But I figured if anything else I possible scare them back in the woods and get another shot. Well I over the doe and by the time the deer made back to me I had no light. So unfortunately my trip was unsuccessful, but I sure had fun. I forgot my camera at home so no pictures this time. The season is long from over so I have more time.

No comments: